NAFTA Professionals

Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 214(e)(2)

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) allows citizens of Canada or Mexico to temporarily come to the United States to engage in business activities at the professional level if they are employed in one of the following occupations and possess the minimum required qualifications. In most cases, applicants must possess a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura degree. In some cases, a state/provincial license may also be sufficient.


Accountant*; Architect; Computer Systems Analyst*; Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster*; Economist; Engineer*; Forester; Graphic Designer*; Hotel Manager*; industrial Designer*; Interior Designer*; Land Surveyor; Landscape Architect; Lawyer (including Notary in the Province of Quebec)*; Librarian*; Management Consultant*; Mathematician (including Statistician); Range Manager/Range Conservationist; Research Assistant (working in a post- secondary educational institution); Scientific Technician/Technologist*; Social Worker; Sylviculturist (including Forestry Specialist); Technical Publications Writer*; Urban Planner (including Geographer); Vocational Counselor


Dentist*; Dietitian; Medical Laboratory Technologist*; Nutritionist; Occupational Therapist; Pharmacist; Physician (teaching or research only)*; Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist; Psychologist*; Recreational Therapist; Registered Nurse*; Veterinarian*


Agriculturist (including Agronomist); Animal Breeder; Animal Scientist; Apiculturist; Astronomer; Biochemist; Biologist; Chemist; Dairy Scientist; Entomologist; Epidemiologist; Geneticist; Geologist; Geochemist; Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico and the United States); Horticulturist; Horticulturist; Pharmacologist; Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada); Plant Breeder; Poultry Scientist; Soil Scientist; Zoologist


College; Seminary; University

*These professions have additional or alternative qualification requirements.